As an economics student, you have access to a great wealth of information online. One of the best places to find information online is in blogs, such as economics blogs written by educators, experts, and self-proclaimed know it alls. Here, you’ll find the 100 best blogs for economics students to read.
These blogs cover a variety of topics in economics.
- Economics Help: Economics Help offers assistance with simplifying economics.
- EconLog: The Library of Economics and Liberty offers issues and insights in economics.
- Cafe Hayek: Learn about globalization, choice, financial markets, randomness, and more on Cafe Hayek.
- The Economic Populist: The Economic Populist allows readers to speak their mind about economics.
- Economic Logic: Economic Logic shares the economics in everything.
- Alpha Sources: Alpha Sources is interested in new ideas.
- Economists Do It With Models: This blog takes a lighthearted look at economics.
- Manarin on Money: Roland Manarin is an author offering his perspective on economics.
- The Big Picture: The Big Picture offers a macro perspective on economics.
- Citizen Economists: Citizen Economists highlights economic thought from the common man and woman.
- The Economics Roundtable: On the Economics Roundtable, you’ll find an aggregation of some of the best economics blogs out there.
- Jeff Matthews Is Not Making This Up: Get an insider’s look into economics from Jeff Matthews.
- DataPoints: DataPoints offers a free and open exchange on the economy.
- The Undercover Economist: Check out this blog to learn about the economics of everyday life from Tim Harford.
- Dollars & Sense: Dollars & Sense presents news about real world economics.
- Economix: Read Economix to learn about economics in everyday life.
- Visualizing Economics: Visualizing Economics makes the invisible hand visible with graphs and charts.
- Cato Unbound: Cato Unbound offers regular essays on big-picture topics from some of the world’s leading thinkers.
- EconoSpeak: EconoSpeak shares the annals of the economically correct.
- Overcoming Bias: Economist Robin Hanson writes this blog about honesty, signaling, disagreement, forecasting, and the far future.
- Economists’ Forum: On this blog, leading economists discuss important topics in economics.
- Freakonomics: The Freakonomics blog reveals the hidden side of everything.
- Angry Bear: Angry Bear offers economic commentary on news, politics, and more.
Make use of these blogs to stay on top of economics news.
- Real Time Economics: Find economic insight and analysis from The Wall Street Journal on Real Time Economics.
- Beat the Press: Dean Baker comments on economics reporting on this blog.
- EconoMonitor: Find economic and financial intelligence that matters on EconoMonitor.
- macroblog: Find commentary on economic politics from macroblog, written by the Atlanta Fed.
- EconoPundit: Read EconoPundit to find economic news and views.
- Free Exchange: Check out Free Exchange to learn about economics from The Economist.
These blogs focus on business in economics.
- Economics Unbound: Michael Mandel provides his perspective on economic issues in business today.
- footnoted: Michelle Leder will help you find out what’s being hidden in SEC filings.
- Businomics: Businomics will help you make better decisions by better understanding the economy.
- Dealbreaker: Dealbreaker offers business news, headlines, and financial gossip.
- Megan McArdle: Megan McArdle writes this blog about economics, business, and more.
- The Atlantic Business: This blog covers bankruptcy reform, cutting spending, and beyond.
- SEC Data Guy: Check out this blog about SEC EDGAR data.
- The Deal Professor: Steven M. Davidoff writes about the world of mergers and acquisitions.
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich: Ramit Sethi’s blog offers the best of personal finance and entrepreneurship.
- 10Q Detective: David Phillips digs through businesses’ SEC filings.
- Calculated Risk: Bill McBride is a retired senior executive with a background in management, finance, and economics.
Learn from researchers, professors and more on these economics blogs.
- Greg Mankiw’s Blog: This professor of economics offers random observations for students of economics.
- Econbrowser: Econbrowser offers economics analysis from James D. Hamilton and Menzie Chinn.
- Knowledge Problem: Lynne Kiesling and Michael Giberson offer their view on economics on Knowledge Problem.
- The Everyday Economist: Josh Henderson of The Everyday Economists is a professor of microeconomics and econometrics at Wayne State University.
- The Epicurean Dealmaker: The Epicurean Dealmaker discusses the world of mergers and acquisitions.
- Grasping Reality with Both Hands: Brad DeLong is an economist at Berkeley that offers a reality based look at economics.
- Ideas: David Friedman is a self-taught academic economist at a law school.
- Economist’s View: Mark Thoma of University of Oregon offers his view on economics on this blog.
- EclectEcon: EclectEcon delivers on the eclectic side of economics.
- Robert Reich: Rober Reich is a former Secretary of Labor and professor at the University of California at Berkeley.
- The Becker-Posner Blog: These two University of Chicago professors offer authorative learning in economics.
- The Conscience of a Liberal: Paul Krugman discusses economics and politics in this blog.
- Mises Economics Blog: This blog advances the scholarship of Ludwig von Mises.
- MV=PQ: This blog offers a resource for economics educators concerned with economic and financial literacy issues.
- The Seven Scholars: The Seven Scholars share a macro perspective on economics.
- Aspiring Economist: The Aspiring Economist is a second year graduate student of economics.
- Adam Smith’s Lost Legacy: This blog is a study on Adam Smith.
- Aplia Econ Blog: The Aplia Econ Blog offers news that relates to your economics classes.
- Economics Revealed!: Economics Revealed! will help you understand economic fundamentals by examining them in the real world.
- Fly Bottle: Will Wilkinson is a research fellow at the Cato Institute.
- Welker’s Wikinomics: Welker’s Wikinomics offers a collaborative platform for teaching and learning economics.
These blogs focus on markets and investment.
- Winter Economic and Market Watch: Keep an eye on Wall Street on this blog.
- American Association of Wine Economists: Here you’ll find a blog on the economics of wine and food.
- The Health Economics Blog: With this blog, you’ll get insight into trends, politics, opinions, and more in biotech and pharmacy.
- Curious Cat: Curious Cat discusses investing and economics on this blog.
- Seeking Alpha: Seeking Alpha offers stock market news, investing ideas, and lots more.
- A Dash of Insight: A Dash of Insight takes an eclectic approach to trading and investing.
- Bronte Capitalism: This blog explores investment ideas from the position of learning what’s wrong.
- Abnormal Returns: Abnormal Returns offers an investment blog that’s wide ranging and without forecasts.
- Crossing Wall Street: Crossing Wall Street offers a guide to financial success.
- naked capitalism: Get a stripped down look at capitalism on this blog.
- Capital Gains and Games: Capital Gains and Games discusses Washington, Wall Street, and everything in between.
- MarketBeat: Get an inside look at the markets from Wall Street Journal’s MarketBeat.
Learn about the recession and reform from these blogs.
- Bankruptcy Beat: This blog offers a look at companies that are in trouble.
- Dr. Housing Bubble: On Dr. Housing Bubble, you’ll get a look at the current real estate market.
- TheMoneyIllusion: Check out this blog to learn about the problem of monetary policy.
- Global Economics Watch: In this blog, you’ll find a global economic crisis resource center.
- BailoutSleuth: Check out BailoutSleuth to get the lowdown on the latest bailouts.
- Crisis Talk: Crisis Talk discusses emerging markets and the financial crisis.
- Economy Watch: Frank Ahrens discusses the financial crisis.
- Financial Armageddon: Financial Armageddon shares information about the coming economic unraveling.
- Boom2Bust: Boom2Bust warns and educates its readers about the coming US financial crash.
- The Baseline Scenario: This blog attempts to explain what happened to the global economy, and what we can do about it.
- Infectious Greed: Learn about finance and the money culture from Paul Kedrosky.
- The Big Do-Over: The Big Do-Over discusses fixing financial regulation.
- Marginal Revolution: Marginal Revolution offers small steps toward a better world.
In these blogs, you’ll learn about the politics of economics.
- The Hearing: The Hearing offers a decoding of economic policy debate.
- Vox: Vox shares research-based policy analysis and commentary from leading economists.
- Economic Policy Institute: The Economic Policy Institute offers research and ideas for shared prosperity.
- Money & Policy: The New York Times examines money and policy on this blog.
Learn about economics around the world on these blogs.
- Planet Money: Planet Money offers a discussion on the global economy.
- A Fistful of Euros: Check out A Fistful of Euros to learn about European economic opinion.
- Japan Economy Watch: Japan Economy Watch keeps an eye on Japan’s ongoing economic crisis.
- Global Economy Matters: Edward Hugh examines the global economy on this blog.
- Mish’s Global Economic Trend Analysis: Mike Shedlock shares analysis for global economic trends.
- China Economics Blog: Read the China Economics Blog to learn about observations, statistics, and news related to China’s economy.
These blogs are concerned with economy that can continue to grow.
- Oikos: Oikos focuses on environmental policy and its connection with the economy.
- Block’s Indicator of Sustainable Growth: Find out how the economy can continue to grow from this blog.
- Ecological Economics: Ecological Economics offers a cross-disciplinary conversation about economics and ecology.
- Environmental Economics: Read this blog from economists about environmental and natural resources.